Sunday, October 26, 2008

Back to the beginning

People often ask how I started out in the photo business. So here is the story, I had a bad mall photo experience- haven't we all? At the time I was a scrapbooker (photography has since taken over that spot) and one of my scrapbook magazines had an article about taking "studio" type of pictures in your own home. I gave it a shot- not too bad. Then in the fall of 2005 I got my first dslr camera and I fell in love. That holiday season I took my kids Christmas pictures as well as a few of my friends. It was so fun and I loved doing it. One of my friends, Karen K, thought that was so cool that I was taking pictures. Mind you I had not taken any of her children- yet, but that didn't stop her from telling everyone she knew to call me. In March 2006 I am contacted by a friend of Karen's- would I take pictures of her children? I was petrified. It was my first "non-friend" shoot. Shelly was so nice and friendly and her children were adorable. I think that is when my hobby began to grow into something else.

Why am I tell you this story, you ask? Here we are 2 and a half years later and my first client is back. She is a little bummed that my $20 for the session and you get the disc with all the pictures deal is gone, but hopefully the improvement in my photography skills makes up for that.


Oh, and Karen K's kids? you will see them next week on the blog- so stay tuned.

No comments: